Monday, May 13, 2013

Exaustion and Excitement: Preparing for Day 1

      When I say that I cannot believe that senior projects are already upon us, my first thoughts turn not to the week ahead, but to a memory. I think back, a year ago today, when the Class of 2012 had just ventured out for the first day of their projects while our Class of 2013 thought upon this event with great anticipation. I remember how different Parish seemed without their presence, how the entire dynamic of the high school was altered as each grade tentatively slid into its new role while still having to sprint through the finish of the year at hand. Startled by this sudden change in status quo, I distinctly recall musing about the intentions behind Parish’s senior projects: why would the administration effectively release seniors from school two weeks before graduation?
      Skipping back to today, while I now understand seniors’ perspectives on the early dismissal, admin’s motive is still a bit unclear. Having just completed my last two AP tests—AP Biology and AP Physics—I am utterly mentally drained yet I know that a big week is ahead. For the following four days, I will be interning at Netherland, Sewell & Associates, Inc. (NSAI), an international petroleum consulting firm that provides a wide range of geological, geophysical, petrophysical, engineering, and economical services to the petroleum industry on whole. As the #1 choice for SEC reserves reporting along with many other accolades, NSAI has quite the reputation for its reliability and integrity. I am sure that this is going to be a very informative experience.
      While I am somewhat nervous about being inserted into a new work environment, I am not going in cold. This past summer, I had the opportunity to intern as an engineering assistant at Five States Energy Capital LLC, a capital company working primarily with mezzanine financing and acquisitions in the Permian Basin, New Mexico, Mid-Continent, and Rocky Mountain areas. During my summer there, I worked primarily with decline curve analysis of PDP (Proved-Developed-Producing), PUD (Proved-Undeveloped), and PDNP (Proved-Developed-Nonproducing) properties and analogs to prospective properties to help determine EURs (Estimated Ultimate Recoveries) for various reservoirs/leases. While I know somewhat about the industry because of Five States, I am thoroughly excited to hopefully be able to perform numerous forms of high-level analysis during my upcoming week at NSAI.
      Just as a quick note, due to the confidential nature of work at NSAI, my descriptions of some of my projects may seem terse and generalized; I will be able to talk about the type of work I am doing, but nothing that relates to specific companies or prospects.

No comments:

Post a Comment